Many are not aware of the security and privacy concerns around computers (including smartphones). I tell my students:
- Cameras: Always treat a camera like it’s on, recording and showing to everyone in the world forever. I keep my cameras covered (with EFF stickers)when I’m not using them.
- Web browsing: Who can see where you go?
- Putting information online (even in Google Drive): Who can see it?
- Keeping information private by encrypting it
- Unencrypted email can be intercepted and read
- Text messages can be intercepted and read (and may be stored for a long time). Messaging app Signal is “end-to-end” encrypted.
For more information, see the Electronic Frontier Foundation Surveillance Self-Defence guide.